Sunday, November 27, 2011

I am thankful for my weekend on Orcas Island with Omar :)

On Thursday morning Omar and I drove to Orcas Island, WA. Orcas island is off the northwestern coast of Washington. It is beautiful and remote. Just enough removed to not have a phone signal or internet connection, but there are modern amenities available. I say this because when my grandfather heard that Omar and I were staying in a two person cabin that was built in the 30s, he asked if there was indoor plumbing. Yes, Pap Pap. I am not a out-house kind of girl.

After a failed attempt to catch the 4:30 ferry to the island and a quick game of Innovation in the car (thanks Judy), we boarded the ferry to our island paradise. Yes, it is winter. Yes, the weather was a bit cold and very windy, but it was paradise. Omar and I spent our days as relaxed as we wanted to be. Hungry? Throw something in the skillet. Tired? Take a nap. Bored? We were never bored :) It was wonderful.

I woke up this morning with a bit of a heartache. We wanted to stay in our little cabin. We could work from a remote location, right? I could switch gears and manage an apiary or a herd of sheep?
Being on an island during the off-season was the perfect escape. I have returned to Portland reenergized for the final couple of weeks of school (both PSU and BHS). I love my life in Portland. I love Omar, being in school and my community. Getting away for awhile let me appreciate all that I am thankful for.